6 TIPS ON HOW TO BE THE BEST SECOND SHOOTER EVER!
- Preparation! Break the ice with your lead photographer by scheduling a meet up, whether it's in person to via zoom call. Don't be scared to ask questions about their expectations, the couple you'll be capturing, location or what their photography style is. To get a better sense of their style, ask to view one of their wedding galleries. DO YOUR HOMEWORK PEEPS!
- Be professional and arrive on time. Whenever I'm second shooting, I like to arrive to the location at least 30-40 minutes before my scheduled time. Sometimes even an hour because I HATE BEING LATE.
- Add some variety to the gallery. I'm 100% sure that your lead photographer does not want you to capture the same shots as them. Move around, try different angles and keep your eyes on certain details/special moments.
- Be your lead photographer's right hand man... or woman lol. Your lead has a lot on their plate, look at the timeline and give them kind reminders about what's coming up next and how much time they have left for family formals, bridal portraits and couple portraits.
- Assist them the best way you can. Whether it's holding an umbrella over their heads if it's raining, carrying their camera bag, giving them water, fluffing out dresses, removing things that look out place or reminding client's to remove their phones out of their pockets. You are not there to just shoot. Help out as much as you can, and be best friends with your lead. Don't over step some boundaries or try to take over the wedding. Instead, give some suggestions, assist them with posing and combine your creative brains together.
- And most importantly, SMILE! BE HAPPY! YOU'RE AT A WEDDING! YOU'RE CELEBRATING A BEAUTIFUL CHAPTER IN SOMEONE'S LIFE.